We are thrilled to announce that the STORGY SHALLOW CREEK Short Story Competition will be judged by critically acclaimed author...
Naomi Booth is a fiction writer and academic. Her novella, Hartshorn, was shortlisted for the MMU Novella Award in 2014. She has previously published short stories and is currently working on a collection, Dark Tourists, that explores the macabre side of holidays. Her first novel, Sealed, is a gripping modern fable on motherhood.
Naomi holds a first degree from the University of Cambridge and a PhD from the University of Sussex. She is a Lecturer in Literature and Creative Writing at York St John University and her academic research focuses on questions of affect, the body and the environment.
Naomi was born in West Yorkshire and now lives in York.
The STORGY ‘SHALLOW CREEK’ Short Story Competition is open to all.
The Period for Submissions opens on 31st May 2018
1st Prize – £500
2nd Prize – £100
3rd Prize – £50
Finalists will be published in SHALLOW CREEK
£10 Entry Fee
Submissions for the STORGY SHALLOW CREEK Short Story Competition will be accepted from 31st May 2018
The deadline for receipt of entries is 11.00pm 31st August 2018
How to Enter
Applicants are encouraged to submit online via Submittable as early as possible before the deadline.
Instructions for Entering
1) Complete the submission form as follows:
NAME: Author Name
BIO & DETAILS: Short biographical statement (including publication history), contact details (email), and links to author websites and/or social media accounts.
2) Enter payment details and select SUBMIT.
3) Wait for your SHALLOW CREEK COMPETITION pack to arrive in your inbox.
4) Write your short story.
5) Reply to the email containing your SHALLOW CREEK COMPETITION PACK and attach your short story in accordance with the entry criterion below.
Type and format the short story as per the following instructions:
Save as a Microsoft Word document (.doc or .docx) with the LOCATION and CHARACTER IDENTITY (LOCATION – CHARACTER) in the file name.
One entry per author
Written in English
A maximum of 5,000 words
Font: Cambria, 12pt, black
Front page with title of the story, character name, location, and word count
Entries not submitted in accordance with the Entry Instructions and Entry terms and Conditions will not be eligible for consideration.
Entry Terms and Conditions
1) All entries will be read by at least two (2) STORGY contributors and a shortlist of exceptional short stories will be presented to Naomi Booth from which a winner and two runners up will be selected.
2) 1st place award is worth £500.
3) 2nd place award is worth £100.
4) 3rd place award is worth £50.
1) The Award is open to all.
2) The story must not contain more than 5,000 words.
3) The entry must be submitted by the author or his/her representative.
4) Only one entry per author permitted.
5) Authors can only enter individually and not as part of a writing team.
6) The story entered must be unpublished.
7) The story submitted must be original, fictional, and entirely the author’s own work.
8) Entries are limited to stories written in English.
By submitting a story for the award the entrant hereby acknowledges and agrees that the winning or any other shortlisted story will be published free of any fees or royalty payments.
The STORGY Short Story Award will be looking for the best new writing and will consider all entries on the basis of quality and originality of prose and narrative voice. The Award aims to support excellence in the short story genre.
Judging of the Award will be as follows:
1) All entries will be read by STORGY contributors against the Award criterion and a shortlist presented to Naomi Booth for judging.
2) Shortlisted and winning writers will be contacted personally by email.
3) The voting outcome is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
Visit SHALLOW CREEK for regular updates from Mallum Colt, owner and proprietor of 'Colt's Curiosity Corner'.
Remember to check STORGY social media accounts for news and updates on SHALLOW CREEK.
We look forward to reading your Short Stories and wish you the best of luck for the STORGY - SHALLOW CREEK - Short Story Competition.